The Certification Officer maintains a list of trade unions and employers’ associations. Any trade union may apply to the Certification Officer to have its name included in the public list.
The Certification Officer is responsible for:
- maintaining a list of trade unions and employers’ associations
- receiving, ensuring compliance with statutory requirements and keeping available for public inspection annual returns from trade unions and employers’ associations
- determining complaints concerning trade union elections, certain other ballots and certain breaches of trade union rules
- ensuring observance of statutory requirements governing mergers between trade unions and between employers’ associations
- overseeing the political funds and the finances of trade unions and employers’ associations
- certifying the independence of trade unions
More detailed information on our listing and the role of the Certification Officer can be found on the website of the certification office.