Description of the Scope of Cover Click here to see example costs
Indemnity cover is provided to work as a pharmacist working at an advanced level employed in a Primary Care Pharmacy setting as described below.
- Work undertaken in a GP surgery, clinic, hospice, CCG, Health Board or specialist provider location, residential/care home or at the home of the patient.
- Working for the NHS, a public health or other government funded authority or similar, a GP practice or Federation, a CCG or Health Board or similar primary care organisation, a third-party provider or as an individual or group practice.
- In addition to the above the pharmacist is covered to provide services as an employed or self-employed locum pharmacist in a hospital or community pharmacy setting in addition to primary care pharmacy work undertaken on an employed basis.
The principal extent of the cover provided is designed to encompass all routine primary care pharmacy activities that would be deemed suitable activities by the GPhC/PSNI and that are commensurate with the level of experience and competence of the pharmacist. As an example, typical roles may include;
- Working autonomously or as part of a team to provide advice on medicines and to undertake administrative and tactical aspects of medicines management.
- Working autonomously or as part of a team within existing competencies to undertake clinical aspects of medicines management which may include the operation of relevant clinics.
- Confidently and routinely making firm clinical recommendations to other members of the multidisciplinary team.
- The clinical work engaged may be supported by a significant extension of the depth or breadth of knowledge beyond the initial IP or postgraduate clinical qualification or beyond the initial phase of shadowing/supervised practice experience.
- Implementing policy and putting in place solutions determined by a Primary Care Organisation or other employer.
- Dealing with medicines related issues as part of a GP out of hours’ service
- Dealing with medicines related telephone enquiries or medicines related triage.
Certain higher risk activities are excluded from the principal cover but are available as policy extensions.
Basic Indemnity costs:
- Intern level practitioner £212
- Basic level practitioner £242
- Advanced level practitioner £277
- Specialised level practitioner £312
Examples of added cost extensions include:
- Self-employed work £60
- Independent Prescribing £104
- Surgery Repeat Prescription programme £250
- Differentiated Diagnosis £201
- £5million Indemnity Limit
- £5million Public Liability Limit
- £5million breach of confidentiality and Libel / slander protection
- £500,000 Legal Defence Costs Limit
- Regulatory Hearings
- Employment Disputes
- Criminal proceedings
- Many additional benefits
- Underwritten by well established and significant Lloyds’ underwriters
- Run off cover available at no extra cost
- Full Membership of the Pharmacists’ Defence Association
- Additional PDA Plus member benefits.
The average cost of our premiums is £440
93% of pharmacists working in GP surgeries are paying less than £900
Comprehensive details are available upon application