The unique combination of Defence Association, Union and solid insurance protection means that your interests will always be kept at the forefront by an organisation dedicated to defending your reputation and protecting your interests.
WHEN YOU JOIN THE PDA YOU WILL RECEIVE THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS(Subject to terms and conditions – follow the links on this site and refer to the PDA policy documents for more information)
£5,000,000 Professional Indemnity (PI) InsuranceCover of claims against pharmacists for acts of negligence, error or omission, or providing wrongful advice; any of which has resulted in bodily or mental injury, sickness, disease or death occurring whilst under the normal duties of a pharmacist. This also includes cover for 'Good Samaritan' acts out of work and protection against claims of libel, slander or breach of confidentiality.
£5,000,000 Public Liability (PL) InsuranceCover in the event that a pharmacist accidentally causes damage to a third party or their property.
£500,000 Legal Defence Costs InsuranceTo cover the payment of legal fees for the following:
- Employment Tribunals in the event that negotiations do not bring a dispute to a satisfactory conclusion and legal fees are required for an advocate to progress a claim in a tribunal
- Professional Tribunals where legal representation is necessary at a coroner’s inquest or fatal accident inquiry because there is an investigation into a death potentially caused by malpractice and also at GPhC hearings (which bring into question a pharmacist’s conduct and fitness to practice)
- Prosecutions brought as a result of non-deliberate criminal acts in the conduct of a pharmacist's professional responsibilities, or for any civil proceedings brought under the Equality or Data Protection Acts
- In-Depth Taxation Investigation into your personal tax affairs arising out of employed or self-employed income
- Injury and Fatal Accidents pursuing damages if you have been injured by a third party
- Contract Disputes following the purchase of a product or service exceeding £250 in value
- Jury Service Reimbursement of lost income not recoverable from an employer or the courts
- 24 hour Legal Advice Line for members who wish to discuss legal issues.
Membership of the Pharmacists' Defence Association
The PDA is a not-for-profit organisation and much of our activity is non-insurance related, involving incidents which are very important to pharmacists' employment and their practice. Claims that are covered under the insurance contract are handled by the PDA staff, which means that problems with professional nuances are dealt with by experienced pharmacists and lawyers who understand the issues and are experienced in defending pharmacists in a wide range of situations. There are many extra discretionary benefits of being a member of the PDA, which are provided over and above the protection provided by dint of the insurance cover:
- Employment and Professional Support in employment disputes and professional investigations into fitness to practise, PDA lawyers are on hand to give peace of mind by providing instant support and advice
- Locum Contract Dispute Resolution - intervening where there is a dispute over non-payment of fees
- Professional Advice provided by pharmacists experienced in pharmacy law, ethics and managing professional dilemmas
- Risk Management Development producing guidance and the twice yearly in-house magazine, Insight, to help pharmacists keep up to date with developments in the profession and to make their practice more robust to improve patient safety
- Active Education and Research Agenda - commissioning research through formal links with credible organisations and delivering educational awareness events
- Proactive Lobbying actively involving the Defence Association in pressing for the development of the profession; talking to Government and the movers and shakers of pharmacy and other professions to put forward the interests of the individual pharmacist as opposed to those of employing organisations
- Interactive Communication via initiatives such as focus group meetings, surveys, petitions, conferences and regular emails informing members of important developments
Membership of the PDA Union (Optional)Enhances the membership benefits to include automatic rights of representation in disputes with employers and certain collective bargaining rights. This means that in serious job-threatening situations, PDA Union officials are able to accompany members to disciplinary meetings with employers.
The PDA Union carries significant weight as it seeks to influence employers, government and other decision-making bodies through a democratic mandate of a large group of practising pharmacists. Although union membership is automatic at 'no extra cost' to members, there is an opt-out option if applicants wish only to be part of the defence association.
PDA PlusGiving access to a range of specially-negotiated preferential services for PDA members that are designed to support pharmacists' practise, provide lifestyle benefits and save money!